Friday 18 May 2012

Westlegate Bar & Bistro - Norwich

- Now closed -
 
2-8 All Saints Green
Norwich
Norfolk
NR1 3NA


Breakfast served
Monday - Saturday
8.00am - 12.00pm




I have had many a cocktail in here over the years but it was time to try the Westlegate Full English.



It is quite big inside with plenty of places to sit.



Fresh flowers on each table was a nice touch.



The menu has been kept simple, vegetarians have been thought of and the prices are really reasonable.



The breakfast is really delicious and worth every penny.



A hot drink is included in the price.



Perfect fried eggs are always a welcome sight.  The tomatoes were a bonus as they were not mentioned on the menu.



Delicious quality sausages and crispy hash browns.


Having recently visited Nottingham and Cambridge I was going to be spending a weekend in Norwich again so was thinking about where I hadn't been for breakfast yet on my search for perfection. Before I had even started really thinking too hard about it I noticed a friends facebook update, it said.. "Just had a breakfast at Westlegate Bistro - £6.25 for the best Full English Brekkie ever!" Having read the facebook update I immediately googled Westlegate Bistro and discovered it was what used to be the The Mustard Lounge, it was time to see how good the Westlegate Full English was...

Upon entering - Inside it is a twist of modern and contemporary with with a vast number of places to sit, there are also sofas if you want to get really comfortable. There was music in the background giving it a quite relaxed feel and I was happy enough sipping my coffee whilst waiting for the food to arrive. You order and pay at the bar and everything is bought over when it is ready. Each table has salt and pepper, you are asked if you want any sauces and these arrive in small pots. 8/10

Service - The lady taking my order was friendly, helpful and efficient bringing everything over when it was ready and ensuring I had everything I needed. Just after I started eating a chap appeared briefly at the bar asking if everything was ok, looking back I did wonder if perhaps he may have seen me on the CCTV taking pics on my phone and wondered if there was a problem. He needn't have worried though it was merely the inspector on his ongoing search for perfection! Just before I left the chef appeared so I made a point of thanking him for the excellent breakfast. 8/10

Contents - 2 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 fried eggs, 2 hash browns, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, toast & butter and either tea or coffee. 9/10

Presentation - I was very happy when I first cast my eyes on the colourful array of food when it arrived. The first thing I spotted was the quality sausages followed by the fact everything sat so nicely and beautifully cooked on the plate. 9/10

The food - The sausages (which I think may have been pork and leek) were really delicious and juicy, as was the beautifully cooked bacon. The fried eggs were perfect and the hash browns were fluffy inside with a crisp outside as they should be. A really nice serving of mushrooms accompanied the tasty tomatoes and a juicy puddle of beans. The toast was spot on and served with real butter and the delicious coffee washed down this fantastic plate of food that had clearly been cooked by somebody with a passion for food. Everything was piping hot too which is always an added bonus. 9/10

Value for money - The delicious Westlegate Full English costs just £6.25 and comes with a hot drink. Tomatoes are not mentioned on the menu but they arrived on the plate too, absolute bargain! 9/10

Veggie option - Yes, Vegetarian sausages, fried eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, beans, toast, a hot drink and possibly tomatoes too! 

Overall - This is a breakfast not to be missed, quality ingredients cooked superbly and at a really reasonable price. There is plenty on the plate and it was a real pleasure to eat, the staff are friendly, the place is spacious and has a nice feel to it. I have discovered some great places in Norwich city centre to eat breakfast and this is one of the best! 9/10







5 comments:

  1. We just came back from trying the Westlegate based on the recommendation, and it was every bit as good as the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome food! We will be going back and a must for all fry up lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it has now reopened as the Pig and Whistle and is serving breakfasts from 8am that include unlimited tea and coffee, go and give them a look, the food is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I will pop in at some point and try the breakfast.

      Delete
  4. I remember the dentists chair when it was Chandlers!

    ReplyDelete