Sunday 22 September 2013

Ivy's - Norwich

76E Catton Grove Road
Norwich
NR3 3AA

Opening hours
Mon - Fri 
7.30am till 2pm

Saturday 
8am till 2pm 

Sunday
8am till 12pm

Breakfast served till 2pm

Limited parking available

Facebook



Ivy's had only been open 2 weeks so I decided to take a look. The premises had previously been home to Knife, Fork & Spoon Cafe and Posh Nosh, both places I had visited in the past and eaten breakfast at.




Inside was spacious and clean.



 
The counter and kitchen are towards the rear of the cafe.





An impressive selection of breakfasts and bubble & squeak available too.




Quality Heinz ketchup




Coffee cost just 80p




The large breakfast was cooked nicely and looked great!




Although I am becoming quite fond of real tomatoes I still love tinned plum tomatoes.




Decent quality sausages and delicious thick sliced mushrooms.




Crisp hash browns and a perfect pair of fried eggs.




It arrived late but was worth the wait.




Egg yolk perfection!





Sergeant Sausage had noticed that Ivy's had opened on Catton Grove Road where the Knife, Fork & Spoon Cafe had been and prior to that Posh Nosh Cafe. It was a building I was becoming very familiar with and it was sad to see the previous two cafes close not long after opening, I was so impressed with Knife, Fork & Spoon Cafe it made it into the Recommended section of the blog. I was keen to see what Ivy's had to offer so parked up along Catton Grove Road and headed in to take a closer look..

Upon entering - It felt very familiar as I stepped inside, a good sized dining area that was very clean with nicely spaced out tables. There is a menu on the door and a large blackboard inside listing a good selection of breakfasts and extras. Each table has salt, pepper and sugar placed in the centre, collect cutlery and sauces from a table in the corner. There is a counter at the rear where you place your order and pay, the food is brought to your table when it is ready. The ordering process seemed clear and the environment was nice. 8/10

Service - I was welcomed as soon as I entered by the friendly new owner. We chatted  briefly about previous cafes that had occupied the premises and she explained that having just opened there were a number of things she would still like to do like ordering more menus. I ordered my breakfast and she ran through the different options available (hash browns or fried potatoes and fried bread or toast) Once seated the breakfast arrived, I spotted the fried bread had been forgotten and she soon made me some. This didn't bother me though as considering she had just opened she was doing a fantastic job and the fried bread was well worth waiting for! As I left she thanked me and told me to let my friends know about Ivy's, I told her I would definitely spread the word. 8/10

Contents - 2 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 fried eggs, 2 hash browns, mushrooms, beans, tinned tomatoes and fried bread. 9/10

Presentation - Although not a fan of square plates the food did sit nicely on it with each item huddled together neatly. The colourful array of items looked nicely cooked and I couldn't wait to get stuck in! 8/10

The food - The sausages were decent quality with lovely taste and excellent texture, the bacon was delicious too. The hash browns were golden crisp with a soft textured centre and the fried eggs were perfect, all the white cooked nicely with lovely runny yolks. I always enjoy tinned plum tomatoes and these were in good shape with no excess juice. The beans were great and the mushrooms sliced thick, tasting amazing. The fried bread was excellent with a golden crisp crunch. Everything was piping hot and this was one enjoyable breakfast! 9/10

Value for money - £5.30 for the delicious large breakfast was definitely money well spent! 9/10

Veggie option - Veggie sausage, 2 eggs, 2 hash browns or fried potatoes, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes and fried bread or toast £4.50

Overall - With a friendly owner and great food at a reasonable price I recommend giving Ivy's a visit. The breakfast menu is varied with some great breakfast extra's available such as black pudding and bubble & squeak, if you prefer fresh tomatoes over tinned fear not as these are available too. Considering it has only been open 2 weeks I was really impressed and wish Ivy's success for the future ahead. 8.5/10




8 comments:

  1. We went to Ivy`s this morning for breakfast and we were really impressed. The large breakfast for £5.30 is fantastic value (we opted for fried potatoes rather than hash browns) My 12 year old Son does not like eggs so they gave him extra sausage and extra bacon! Definately one of the best breakfasts in Norwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. !! I love your blog. This is a cool site and I wanted to post a little note to tell you, good job! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only is the breakfast very good,the lunch menu is excellent as well.
    One very happy customer and her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakfast is really good. Shame that a senior female member of staff thinks its ok to eat whilst preparing other peoples food, disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went here today. It is a straight 10/10. Perfect in every way. Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 19 jan 2017... Harry 37.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cafe and lovely people running it. All decent quality produce and great value for money , the prices have not gone up since they opened 4 odd years ago! I have the large breakfast and they are happy to swap items, I swap out beans mushrooms and toms (gasps!) for skinny fries, and at only £5.30! 10/10 for me

    ReplyDelete