Tuesday 29 April 2014

Fairland Diner - Wymondham

25 Fairland Street
Wymondham
Norfolk
NR18 0AW

Breakfast served all day

 
Fairland Diner was the third place I had visited for breakfast in Wymondham.



It has a fairly large dining area with the counter to the rear.



The Florin arcade can be found around the corner.




The interior took me right back to the early 1990's.



 Decent quality ingredients were being used on the breakfasts and the selection seemed ok. I just wish that I had spotted the extra items on offer before ordering!




The Americano was included with the breakfast, you could choose tea if you preferred.




 The condiment stack didn't blow me away..




When this arrived at the table I was much happier!




First came the toast (also included with the breakfast) 




The large full English cost £7 and looked pretty good.



 Great eggs and fairly nice fried bread but the tomato didn't have any flavour at all.




Excellent sausages, nice crisp hash browns and slightly undercooked mushrooms.



I had visited Fairland Diner on a number of occasions for a coffee and noticed the breakfasts being served there looked good. Knowing I would be in Wymondham for the morning with my wife I decided to inspect the breakfast experience at Fairland Diner. I had already visited Station Bistro and The Lemon Tree Cafe in Wymondham, both serving great breakfasts. I headed through the door at Fairland Diner wondering if I would find a third breakfast gem in Wymondham..

Upon entering - As soon as I entered I felt like I had travelled back in time to the early 1990's, everything is clean and nicely arranged but the decor just reminded me of that era, this was not a problem though as I have fond memories of the 1990's. Towards the rear is the counter where you place your order and pay, next decide where you are going to sit. There are plenty of tables to choose from including some out the back in a smaller room and the table by the window in its own little space, perfect for people watching! Each table has a menu, sugar, salt and pepper already on it, a decent selection of quality brand sauces and cutlery arrive shortly after you have ordered. If you are feeling lucky you could always have a quick flutter on the adjoining arcade (The Florin), you can access it from inside the diner just beside the counter. I quite liked the feel of Fairland Diner, it soon got very busy shortly after I arrived and seems like a popular choice in Wymondham. 8/10

Service - I placed my order at the counter and was given my coffee served with a smile. Sauces and cutlery arrived at the table shortly after ordering, next came the breakfast closely followed by the toast. There was a bit of a wait for the food but I could see they were very busy so was happy to wait, an apology was given for the delay when the food arrived and the same chap checked everything was ok a short time later. The breakfast experience certainly went very smoothly here due to the efficiency of the staff who clearly worked really well together as a team. 9/10

Contents - 2 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 fried eggs, 2 hash browns, mushrooms, half a tomato, beans, half a slice of fried bread, 2 slices of buttered toast and a hot drink. 8/10

Presentation - The oval plate was quite small making it fairly tricky to manoeuvre things around, everything looked good though and the excellent fried eggs and quality sausages really stood out. 7/10

The food - The sausages were a good quality pork with a nice firm texture and the bacon was tasty but a little overcooked making it a bit chewy. The fried bread had a nice golden colour and crunch to it but was holding a fair bit of oil. The fried eggs were spot on with perfect runny yolks and the hash browns were cooked nicely with a golden crisp edge. The mushrooms tasted great but were a little underdone and the tomato piping hot but sadly with no flavour at all, the beans were piping hot and the toast was ok.  6/10

Value for money - The large full English cost £7 and included toast and a hot drink, this seemed like a reasonable price to me. 7/10

Veggie option - 2 eggs, 2 hash browns, beans, tomato, mushrooms, fried bread, toast or bread and butter and a tea or coffee for £5.50
 
Overall - The breakfast here was fairly enjoyable with great sausages and eggs but some parts of it did let it down slightly. I just wish I had spotted the black pudding and bubble and squeak option before ordering, I must return someday to try these! You will certainly find good service and reasonably priced food here and the distinct retro look inside makes it fairly unique too. 7.5/10


3 comments:

  1. I have visited the Fairland Diner quite a few times since it changed management and I love going there...the staff are always friendly and I have enjoyed all the food I have ever eaten there AND the Diner is now a clean and healthy place to eat. Top notch food and service!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the Fairland Diner every Wednesday for a breakfast which is excellent both in quality & cost.
    Well done Craig & staff

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite breakfast place in Wymondham, I go there whenever I am able to.

    ReplyDelete