Sunday 7 February 2016

Fine breakfasts in a fine city - My favourite five

Every week I'm asked where my favourite place in Norwich is to go for breakfast. There are so many places to get a great breakfast in Norwich it's really difficult to narrow it down to just one. Here are five of my favourite places (In alphabetical order) that I love returning to for a great breakfast.



House Café – 52 St Benedicts Street, Norwich
This popular café can get very busy and once you’ve tried the Full House breakfast you’ll understand why. They make their own delicious ciabatta, which is toasted and served with heaps of butter. The breakfast menu is varied and offers something for meat lovers, vegetarians, vegans and those who are gluten free. Enjoy a pot of tea here served with a strainer and mismatched vintage crockery. 


Olives – 40 Elm Hill, Norwich
If scrambled eggs are your thing then head along to Norwich's historic Elm Hill where you can find Olives. The breakfast here is a bit different to your average Full English but what they have created is an incredible taste sensation. P.B George sausages feature on this breakfast along with the best scrambled eggs I've ever tasted and delicious homemade bubble and squeak. It can get very busy at times but the traffic light in the corner of the cafe will indicate roughly how long you can expect to wait. 


Street Café – 147 Magdalen Street, Norwich
With it’s traditional interior and excellent service a visit to the Street Café feels really special before your order has even been taken. Chef Andy certainly knows how to serve a stunning Full English breakfast that always looks superb and is made using quality, locally sourced ingredients.  Archers sausages are used here, these sausages have won numerous awards and are a personal favourite of mine. 


Sunny Side Up - 118 Hall Road, Norwich
For a reasonably priced breakfast that's always beautifully presented head to Sunny Side Up on Hall Road in NR1. They certainly know how to fry eggs here and also make their own bubble and squeak which is available as an extra. I often can't decide between bread and butter or toast when ordering a breakfast, here you get both though when ordering the larger breakfasts which saves you the dilemma.


The Plasterers Arms - 43 Cowgate, Norwich
If you fancy a beer with your breakfast or haven't made it out of the house till the afternoon then be sure to head to The Plasterers Arms. They only serve breakfast at weekends but it's available till 2pm. This traditional real ale pub offers a beautifully presented and delicious breakfast made using locally sourced ingredients. If you end up spending the entire day in The Plasterers Arms why not try a Voodoo Daddy's pizza too, I recommend the Beast or Fat Elvis, both superb!


For my full list of favourite places to go for breakfast in Norwich take a look at my recommended trail map and the recommended section on my blog.


10 comments:

  1. Some top notch looking breakfasts there, omg the bacon on the Olives picture is making me salivate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with the Street Cafe, awesome breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google 'Drayton Road Cafe' and give it a visit. Think your top 5 will be changed if you do so! Looking forward to seeing a review in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will happily visit when I have time. It's gonna take a damn fine sausage to get in my top 5 though!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. No, but Sergeant Sausage reviewed it for me. It's on the blog somewhere and I hope to go myself at somepoint.

      Delete
  5. I'd try Guist Post Office. A hidden gem ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. I popped in for breakfast to the 67 London St. cafe and it has changed hands again and will be shutting in December as the rent has gone up so much. Real shame as one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete